Learn how to set up your AirPods with your Mac to listen to music, take phone calls, and more.
Use AirPods with your Mac
If you’re using AirPods (2nd generation), make sure that your Mac has macOS Mojave 10.14.4 or later. AirPods Pro requires macOS Catalina 10.15.1 or later.
If you set up your AirPods with your iPhone and your Mac is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID, your AirPods might be ready to use with your Mac.
Place your AirPods in your ears and click either the Bluetooth menu or the volume control in the menu bar on your Mac. Then choose AirPods from the list.
If you don’t see your AirPods in the Bluetooth or volume control menu, pair your AirPods with your Mac:
- On your Mac, choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, then click Bluetooth .
- Make sure that Bluetooth is on.
- Put both AirPods in the charging case and open the lid.
- Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until the status light flashes white.
- Select your AirPods in the Devices list, then click Connect.
If sound still plays from your Mac speakers, click either the Bluetooth menu or the volume control in the menu bar and make sure that your AirPods are selected as the output device.